Friday, November 25, 2011

Ribbon Christmas Tree Shirt

Christmas season is upon us! I am excited for all the family activities, holiday parties, and craft projects that we have planned.
The first Christmas project for me this year was a shirt for my baby girl- a ribbon Christmas tree shirt.
Gather supplies:
  • a variety of ribbon (different widths, textures, and colors)
  • scissors
  • scrap piece of paper cut in a triangle
  • shirt or onesie
  •  fusible web
  • thread and needle or sewing machine
Design your tree:
Decide if you would like a tall skinny tree or a short fat one and make a template out of a piece of paper.  With your assortment of ribbons that you selected lay them across your paper tree template and cut. Don’t forget to cut a little square or rectangle for the trunk.  Heat seal the ends of the ribbon with a lighter to prevent fraying.
Applique ribbons to shirt:
When I saw this ribbon shirt idea I thought I would just pin the ribbon down and sew them on. I tried. It was difficult for me to get the ribbons to line up where I wanted them so I used my paper template to cut a scrap piece of fusible web. The brand I used was Steam a Seam. I ironed the ribbons onto the fusible web and then onto the shirt.
Sew:
The bond is supposed to be permanent but I decided to stitch around each of the ribbons. I like the extra durability and the way it helps it stand out a bit more.  I think a zigzag stitch would look  super cute! Or you can do a straight stitch like I did or even hand stitch it. My sewing is far from perfect but it makes it unique. :)
Finishing Touches:
A Christmas tree is not complete without something on top. Sew on a star button or pretty bow. I am obsessed with bows so that is what I chose.
This top would look great paired with a tutu and a matching loopy bow using the same ribbons used for this project using the tutorials that I have shared in my other tutorials. Happy crafting and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment