Friday, December 30, 2011

Korker Bow

 
These korker bows are so much fun for any occasion and so easy to make. My 8 year old daughters are able to make these with only a little assistance from me. This one is being made for New Years.
Supplies Needed:
Ribbon. 3/8” grosgrain works best. I used some ¼” satin ribbon and I liked that way that turned out too.
Wooden dowels. (I think mine are ¼” and 12” long)
Wooden clothespins
Scissors
Lighter or clear nail polish
Needle and thread
Lined alligator clip
Oven
Step 1: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. While oven is preheating wrap the ribbon around the dowels holding it in place at the ends with a clothespin. You want the edges to touch but not overlap. I chose six different ribbons and wrapped one dowel with each.

Step 2:  When done wrapping the dowels put them on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 25 minutes.
Step 3: While they are baking line an alligator clip or two if you are making a matching set for pigtails. Also thread your needle. I cut about 12 inches of thread and tie both ends together after threading so it is twice as strong.
Step 4: Take out of oven and let cool. Once they are cooled down remove the clothespins and they should easily slide off the dowels.
Step 5: Cut and seal the ends. The length and number of strips you will need varies according to what size and how full you want your bow.  I went with 3”.  Heat sealing the ends with a lighter is a little more difficult because of the ribbon being curled so when my daughters make them I just let them paint the ends with a little clear nail polish to keep the ribbon from fraying.
Step 6: Start with one uncorked piece of ribbon and then keep adding pieces of the corked ribbon one at a time onto the needle. Keep all the pieces on the needle instead of pulling it all the way though.
  
I like when things are more uniform so after I added one of each ribbon when I started the pattern over again I made sure that it went the opposite direction as the first time. (Making an X)  The third time through the pattern I laid  it half way between.  I stopped at 18 pieces but you may keep adding more until it is the fullness you desire.

Step 7: Hold the center with your fingers and pull the needle through and then while still holding it in place stitch through it a few more times to hold it all together. Tie a knot on the bottom below the uncorked strip.
Step 8: Attach the bow to the hairclip by using a little bit of hot glue to wrap the uncorked strip around the alligator clip.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment