Friday, December 16, 2011

Gift Bow

I remember when I was younger I would always take the bows off of my presents and put them on my head. Okay, I confess. I still do this now at age 28.
Here is a quick way to make your own bows for all those presents you are wrapping this Holiday Season.
To make this 4 inch bow I cut four strips of ribbon 8 inches long, two strips that are 6 inches and one that is 2 inches. I used 7/8"  red saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon.
Loop the ribbon into a thin figure 8 shape. You will want the tips to come to somewhat of a point. Use a drop of hot glue to hold it in place.
Do the same with the remaining 8 and 6 inch strips. Make a ring with 2 inch strip.
Take 2 of the larger figure 8s and using a drop of glue in the middle make them into an X.  Repeat. Then do the same with the two smaller  figure 8s.
Begin to stack them and glue them together with the points facing towards the open spaces from the layer below.
Put one  more dab of glue in the center and place the ring/loop inside.
This bow could be attached onto a gift box just the way it is but because I like to find multiple uses for the things I make I added a lined hair clip to the back.
Now the recipient has a special hairbow to wear as a bonus gift or they can save the bow to reuse the next time they have a gift giving occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment